Sunday, 10 February 2013

Poetry Reads: One Cigarette by Edwin Morgan



One Cigarette is about love, romance and the memory of love. Like of all of Edwin Morgan’s poems, it is full of articulation. It is a lucid monologue of a speaker whose lover is away. The lines below reveal wisps of nostalgia; a sense of someone gone and what remains is the memory of the last kiss.

What a reader finds beautiful is the way they can identify with the setting and the imagery of the poem.

One Cigarette 
by Edwin Morgan

No smoke without you, my fire.
After you left,
your cigarette glowed on in my ashtray
and sent up a long thread of such quiet grey
I smiled to wonder who would believe its signal
of so much love. One cigarette
in the non-smoker's tray.
As the last spire
trembles up, a sudden draught
blows it winding into my face.
Is it smell, is it taste?
You are here again, and I am drunk on your tobacco lips.
Out with the light.
Let the smoke lie back in the dark.
Till I hear the very ash
sigh down among the flowers of brass
I'll breathe, and long past midnight, your last kiss.



(Review by Kabita Sonowal)

1 comment:

  1. Like of all of Edwin Morgan’s click here poems, it is full of articulation.

    ReplyDelete